Interior Assessment Questionnaire
As a leading training provider of interior on board crew training, The Crew Academy are passionate about the standards of service that your guests and owners experience.
No matter what level of experience you may have on board, our experience in this field has shown us that there is always room for improvement and engaging in some professional training really does make an enormous difference to your skill sets and to your team's confidence.
By completing this form, we will be able assess current levels of knowledge and provide recommendations as to the areas for improvement. ALL RESULTS WILL BE KEPT STRICTLY CONFIDENTIAL. As a benchmark for you, students undertaking similar tests during our Intermediate training programmes generally score between 10 and 40% on the first day of our course and 90-100% on the final day of training.
By completing this form, you will be entitled to a 10% discount off any of our 2017 courses booked before the end of January 2017.
The Crew Academy
Have you ever undertaken any formal interior yacht-specific training before?
Multiple Choice Questionnaire
Please take your time to answer the questions, without assistance. The questionnaire shouldn't take more than 10 minutes to complete.
Note only one correct answer per question, unless otherwise specified.
1. When setting the table, where is the bread plate located?
Bottom right of the setting
Centre of the setting
Top left of the setting
2. What is the main difference between Butler Service and Silver Service?
Butler service is a plated service and silver service is platter service
Silver service is French service and Butler service is English service
During Butler service, guests help themselves from the platter and during silver service the steward/ess serves the guest from the platter
3. Name a standing napkin fold
The candle stick
The pope's hat
Birds of paradise
All of the above
4. What condiments accompany traditional caviar service? (There are 7 correct answers)
Boiled egg whites / yolks
5. During service, from which side of the guest should food and beverages be served?
Food from the left and beverages from the right
Food from the right and beverages from the right
Food from the right and beverages from the left
6. How long prior to dinner should a red wine be opened?
7. At what temperature should a medium bodied red wine be served?
8. When serving wine to guests at a table, who would be served last?
The oldest gentleman
The youngest lady
The youngest gentleman
9. What glasses are likely to be used during Russian dining?
Red wine glasses
White wine glasses
All of the above
10. What is the best table service?
Discreet and silent
11. During guest service, in what direction should the service team move around the table?
12. How many plates should be carried when serving guests at the table?
13. Which of the following service styles isn't a platter service?
Plated / American service
Butler / French service
Silver / English service
14. In these 8 steps of service flow, which of the following would be step 5?
Clear first course plates
Pour wine for host to taste, then guests
Assist in seating guests
Service first course
Assist with napkins
Offer more water, wine and bread
15. What is a proven, practical method to ensure interior items return to the same location?
16. When preparing a guest bed, which step in the process of making up the bed, would be number three?
Duvet / Duvet cover
17. When packing a guest suitcase, what should be used between garmets?
18. There has been a large red wine spill on the silk/wool blend carpet in the main salon. What should be done?
Spray stain remover and rub the stain until it fades
Cut out the pieces of the carpet that are stained
Blot the excess liquid and call the chief stewardess or carpet specialist for advice
Panic, freak out and cry
19. There has been a large red wine spill on the teak decks aft. What should be done?
Get a hose and rinse the deck
Blot the excess liquid and call a deckhand
20. Which element of a collared shirt should be ironed last?
Collar and yolk
21. When managing guest laundry, what methods should be used to ensure that guest laundry is returned to the correct guest cabin?
Bead and pin system
Cabin specific laundry bags
All of the above
22. What does the laundry symbol of a circle, within a square, with a cross over them mean?
23. What is the appropriate response when handling a guest complaint?
Listen / apologise / take action / follow up
Make excuses and blame your superiors
Apologise / follow up / take action / listen
24. Where can guests' specific needs and information noted, in order to prepare a charter trip?
The captain's log
25. What is a pantry book?
Guest likes and dislikes
Important notes to stewardesses
All of the above
26. What two factors should you consider when prioritising jobs?
Procrastination / Delegation
Urgency / Importance
Empathy / Culture
27. What does the term SOP mean?
Standard office procedures
Safety organisation protection
Standard operating procedures
Sewage of personnel
28. What type of wood is used in a humidor?
29. What is the correct range of humidity when storing cigars in a humidor?
30. What is the name of the tool used to cut flowers?
31. When recruiting a new crew member, what written and verbal checks should be done prior to hiring?
32. What does GUEST stand for?
Would you like to be contacted about the training on offer?
No, thank you
Do Not Fill This Out